4 Reasons to Ask About Early Orthodontic Intervention
By Karen Mitchell D.D.S. on August 29, 2016
When visiting Sharp Smile Center we don't just look at your teeth! We look at the "four food groups" in dentistry (teeth, gum and bone, the chewing system and the breathing/airway system). Did you know we can we can make some pretty accurate predictions about your child's future by looking at their bone structure and teeth alignment? With children, we look for harmony in the jaw, so when we see a narrow upper jaw we can predict it will result in:
- A high palate that takes up room in the sinus cavity and obstructs the airway
- Improper tongue position which causes obstruction of the airway and hindrance to proper upper jaw development
- Improper development of the lower jaw which causes obstruction of the airway and increases the risk of developing TMJ pain and associated headache problems
- No room for teeth, resulting in poor aesthetics and decreased self confidence
Early intervention guides the developing jaws while your child's bones are pliable and actively growing. With a simple removable or fixed appliance it painlessly moves the developing bone and properly relates the jaws to each other.
- Make room for the teeth and improve appearance and self-confidence
- Improve the airway by making room in the sinus cavity
- Make room for the tongue resulting in an improved airway, continued proper development of the upper jaw, and proper speech
- Allow advancement of the lower jaw into proper position, resulting in a healthy TMJ, improved airway, and better appearance & self-confidence
The average treatment time is 6-12 months. Call today to see how we can improve your child's quality of life and reduce the complexity of future orthodontic needs!
Related to This
We would love to show you what a difference our world-class dentistry can make. Our friendly staff looks forward to hearing from you!
“Eight implants and many crowns later, I have a smile to be proud of. With the aid of sedation, we got a lot done in a short time. THANK YOU Dr. Sharp and staff for getting me through my dental problems.” Gene