Relieving Pain and Removing Infection with Root Canal Therapy
Root canal procedures are often thought to be painful, but they actually help relieve pain and remove infection with minimal discomfort. Dr. Michael Sharp in Portage, MI, has over 35 years of experience performing root canal treatments and other dental services, and has trained with Dr. Bill Dorfman of Extreme Makeover. If you are experiencing a toothache or other symptoms of a dental infection, Dr. Sharp is here to provide the relief you need.
Symptoms of Infection
Underneath the hard exterior, each tooth contains soft tissues: blood vessels, nerve endings, and ligaments. These tissues are collectively known as "pulp." The root canals (the centers of the tooth roots) also contain pulp.
Advanced tooth decay or trauma can cause the pulp to become infected. Signs of an infected tooth may include:
- Severe pain when direct pressure is applied to the tooth
- Throbbing pain, centered in the affected tooth
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Swelling in the cheeks or gums
Why Root Canal Therapy?
Dr. Sharp takes conservative treatment measures to avoid the need for tooth extraction whenever possible. A root canal is a process of removing the infected pulp and preserving the healthy exterior, which is usually restored with a dental crown. In most cases, we can provide a crown immediately after treatment using our advanced in-house CEREC® technology.
You can depend on Dr. Sharp's modern dentistry techniques to provide fast and effective relief.
Retaining dental tissue matters because in the absence of tooth roots, the jaw will begin to atrophy, or shrink, which can distort your facial features while causing your entire smile to become misaligned. If Dr. Sharp determines that extraction is the best solution, he can replace the tooth with a dental implant-supported crown. While this solution can also prevent jaw atrophy, it is far costlier than a root canal.
What to Expect during Treatment
Our team focuses on providing each patient with a comfortable and relaxing experience to help the procedure move quickly with minimal discomfort. We provide the option of sedation, blankets, Tempur-Pedic® pads, and noise-canceling headphones to alleviate anxiety and make your time in the dentist's chair as pleasant as possible.
The procedure usually involves six basic steps:
- Local anesthesia is administered to numb the affected tooth completely. Optional sedation medications are also available before treatment begins.
- Dr. Sharp creates a small opening in the crown of the tooth.
- The pulp is completely removed.
- The inner tooth, including each root canal, is disinfected.
- Dr. Sharp fills the inner tooth with a rubbery material.
- The remaining dental structure will be reduced and a crown will be placed to provide support.
There is no downtime required following a root canal procedure.
Contact Us to Schedule a Consultation
If you are experiencing symptoms of a dental infection, contact us right away at (269) 344-4004. You can depend on Dr. Sharp's modern dentistry techniques to provide fast and effective relief.